Monday, September 08, 2008

What's in your bag?

I was cursing a little to myself this morning as I dragged my bag of essentials with me on my walk to work. It’s so heavy, but I need everything in there because you just never know. In my bag I have a cell phone charger, umbrella, snacks, water, a book, bottle, ipod, shoes, lunch and of course my safety tube. It weighs practically nothing and includes water, a light source, dusk mask and whistle. Why the whistle? In case you find yourself stuck somewhere experts say it’s better to blow a whistle rather than yelling to conserve energy.

In honor of National Preparedness Month we’re giving away two safety tubes-one for you and one for a friend!

Just comment on our blog this week, and at 5 p.m. Friday we’ll pick a winner randomly from all the comments we get and send you two safety tubes. These are great things to have with you at the office, in your car and on the train.

Tell us your story about when you might have used a safety tube, or tell us when you might need one: Have you been stuck on a train? Have you ever had to evacuate your office? What’s in the bag that you drag to and from work each day?

Make sure you include your email so we know how to contact you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I participate in an office drill, I realize how vulnerable I am. I assume my keys and cellphone will be a life line for me.

Am I truly prepared? Unfortunately, no. What if I am trapped and unable to escape?

A safety tube can be easy to overlook but its value cannot be underestimated. Light sticks attract rescue workers and provide. Water pouches adds critical survival time. Piercing whistles are sure to attract help. And dusk masks not only ward off dust, they can also be used as gauze for bleeding.

My fellow Americans, rest assured that when disaster strikes, the Red Cross Safety Tube may prove to be the crucial difference.

Go out and buy a Safety Tube. If you already own one, consider a monetary donation to Red Cross.

Take my advice Chicagoland: Prepare today and survive tomorrow.

-- Trig

Feed Fido said...

I need a fall-out helmet and I 'll be Chicken Little! You should raffle off those guards or protectors or whatever they are called...you know to to mouth-to-mouth. I know CPR, and keep meaning to buy one.

lendinglibrarians@gmail.com