Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Those dangerous tomatoes...

Photo by Hazel I.


Last night I made gazpacho for dinner. It was HOT outside, we don’t have AC and there was no way I was going to turn on the stove or anything that gives off heat. Did you know you have to peel tomatoes before they get pureed for gazpacho? Have you ever tried peeling a tomato? It’s so slippery and not that easy and you might see where this is going…I was peeling along with my little paring knife and sliced into my finger. Ouch.

There’s a reason I didn’t go into healthcare. I get a little woozy at the sight of blood. Ok, a lot woozy. But it's important to be able to deal with injuries, and I did make my way through a Red Cross First Aid course. So, I knew it wasn’t a big deal, even if there was a LOT of blood. Like, four whole DROPS of it. I wrapped my finger with a paper towel and went hunting for my Red Cross first aid kit.

That thing is STOCKED! A little bit of antiseptic, a little bit of antibiotic, a bandage, bam! Back to the gazpacho!

So now I want to know: What was the last time you had to break out your first aid kit? Take a spill on a bike? Your kid bonk her head on a swing? Tell me about it in the comments!

P.S. These vintage first aid kits (they just look vintage, the products are new!) are on sale this month—just $8.50 and a good addition to your car, backpack or purse.

1 comment:

wharman said...

I cut my finger open on a piece of glass when I was clearing my garden area this spring. I hadn't looked in my Red Cross first aid kit before then, either, and was amazed at all the good stuff in there! I'm totally healed now.