Friday, November 27, 2009

Education that Saves Lives

My favorite time of the year as a child was always Thanksgiving. It wasn't because of the food, or the time I got to spend with my family, or even the historic meaning of the holiday. For me, it was a sign that winter break was on it's way; that meant no school!

Now, my mother was dedicated to education. She saw school breaks as an opportunity for us to learn something new. When school wasn't in session, my brother, sister and I were given the opportunity to pick one thing we'd like to learn. Over many breaks, we learned how to rock climb, play musical instruments, cook, sew, and much more. These were the lessons that stuck with as I grew older.

With winter break at our heels again, I encourage everyone to take some time this season and learn something new. Maybe, even something lifesaving.

If you want to learn how to treat frostbite, there's a First Aid class for that.
If you want to learn how to be a lifeguard, there's a Aquatics class for that.
If you want to learn how to change a diaper, there's a Babysitters class for that.
If you want to learn how to give rescue breaths to a cat, there's a Pet CPR class for that.


With winter break fast approaching, what would you like learn?

No comments: