Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Don't get burned!

Yes, candles are pretty and that they can make your home smell like the beach or a warm apple pie in seconds, but remember that candles can be dangerous too! A candle is an open flame – so when you decorate this holiday season, make sure you follow a few simple steps to keep from getting burned!

  • Place candles where they cannot be reached or knocked over by pets and children.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn, such as curtains, bedding,mattresses, paper, books, flammable decorations, clothing, and upholstered furniture.
  • Keep all lit candles and other open flames away from any flammable liquids.
  • Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
  • During an emergency, always use flashlights and not candles as light sources.

And always remember… smoke alarms save lives. Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen, on each level of your home, near sleeping areas, and inside and outside bedrooms if you sleep with doors closed. Use the test button to check it each month. Replace all batteries at least once a year.

These fire safety tips are brought to you by Team Firestopper! We’re working to stop fires before they start in your community! For more information or fire tips, visit www.chicagoredcross.org/tfs or www.redcross.org/homefires!

*Fire safety facts and tips found at http://www.nfpa.org/ and www.redcross.org/homefires

No comments: