- Make sure everyone can hear the sound of the smoke alarms and knows what your smoke alarms sound like.
- Before opening a door, feel the doorknob and door. If either is hot, leave the door closed and use your second way out.
- If there is smoke blocking your door or first way out, use your second way out.
- Smoke is toxic. If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your way out.
- If you can’t get to someone needing assistance, leave the home and call the fire department. Tell the fire department where the person is located.
- If pets are trapped inside your home, tell firefighters right away.
- If you can’t get out, close the door and seal vents and cracks around doors with towels or tape to keep smoke out. Call 911 or the fire department. Tell them where you are and signal for help at the window with a light-colored cloth or a flashlight.
Fire safety tips are brought to you by Team Firestopper! We’re working to stop fires before they start in your community! For more information or fire tips, visit www.chicagoredcross.org/tfs or www.redcross.org/homefires!