Friday, January 14, 2011

More Than a Sign


The Minnesota Planetarium Society has sent our world into frenzy with the newly-released announcement that most of our zodiac signs have changed due to the Earth’s current alignment. According to some astrologers, Earth’s current position in relation to the Sun means that our signs, which were put into place approximately 3,000 years ago, are now outdated. As a result, date alignment with the signs shifted nearly a month causing many individuals to question their self identity. Whether you are a skeptic or a believer, there’s no doubt that the world has, literally, been shaken by this announcement.

As a Capricorn, my natural appreciation of stability has me feeling extremely uncomfortable with the news. Have we all been living a lie? Does the goat tattoo on my lower back need to be removed and replaced with a centaur? I don’t know the first thing about being a Sagittarius!

We at the Red Cross have daily experience with receiving startling news that can shake up the world on both personal and worldwide levels. We learn first-hand to expect the unexpected. Despite the unpredictable nature of our mission at the Red Cross, one factor remains stable—we believe in hope. This common denominator among disasters of any proportion allows us to persevere through the hard days knowing we have the ability to do what we do everyday. It provides us with the power to help others and stand strongly behind the Red Cross mission. We see this belief all the time. We see it in our volunteers. We see it in our donors. We see it in our staff. We see it in the victims we assist. We see the belief in all of you who believe in us and our mission.

You may or may not believe that the fate of our love lives and stubbornness means changing from a goat to a four-legged man, but when it comes to persevering through the those disasters that seem impossible, we too can say, “keep on believing.”

Hope happens. What keeps you going?

Written by David Roth & Katie Wilkes

2 comments:

Kim B. said...

Well stated and thank you. Yes we need to have hope. I have hope. I volunteer with ARCGC and I am truly grateful to be a part of such a wonderful organization. Thank you for what you do.

Jackie Mitchell said...

I may believe I'm a Virgo. I don't believe I'm a Leo. I am sure I believe in hope.