Friday, February 12, 2010

Still looking for the perfect Valentine's Day gift?

Valentine's Day is almost here and it's got me thinking about the people I love.

Sure, it's got me dreaming about pretty flowers, sweet cards, and fancy chocolates. I'm worrying about dinner reservations and getting just the right gift for that special someone. I'm remembering the valentines who have come before fondly.

But, as I think about all the people I love, I wonder if I've done enough to show them how important they are to me. Do the people I care most about know what to do in an emergency? Are they ready if disaster strikes? Have I done all I can to make sure they'll be safe?

The best Valentine's Day gift I can think of for all the people in my life is preparedness. As you look for that perfect gift, consider the items on this list:

  • Water (at least one gallon per person, per day.)
  • Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable, easy to prepare food)
  • Flashlight
  • Battery powered or hand cranked radio (with extra batteries)
  • First Aid Kit
  • A 7-day supply of medications
  • Multi-purpose tool
  • Sanitation and personal hygene items
  • Copies of personal documents (like the deed to your home, insurance policies and birth certificates)
  • Cell phones with chargers
  • Family and emergency contact information
  • Extra cash
  • Tools/ supplies for securing your home

You know, nothing says romance like a flashlight and a first aid kit!

No comments: